Bacon and jam are two things that don't necessarily go together. Jam has peanut butter, and bacon has, well, everything else.
But this bacon jam recipe from Delish changes everything. And the best part about it? How totally simple the recipe is!
First, the bacon. Because priorities.
After you properly sizzle the bacon to crispy perfection, you add in the onions, to get that sweet caramelized flavor. Then all the other ingredients (see below), until the best part, which is dumping an ice cream scoop of brown sugar into that big, sticky mess:
After you stick the big pot of deliciousness into the oven, what you get out on the other side will look like something close to jam, except it will smell like maple sugar and bacon, so it will be a billion times better.
This appetizer is perfect for literally any occasion: you can bring it to watch a football game with your friends, or to meet your significant other's in laws, or just to celebrate being awesome while you watch reality TV alone in your apartment. You don't need an occasion to make your new favorite bacon jam recipe. Your new bacon jam recipe is the occasion.
Here's the breakdown for you to make your bacon jam recipe by Delish ASAP:
- 1 lb. bacon, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 4 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. maple syrup
- 1/3 c. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, and reserve about a tablespoon of bacon fat in the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add onion and shallots to the pan and cook, stirring often, until the onions are caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, brown sugar, maple syrup, vinegar, chili powder and cooked bacon. Bring mixture to a simmer then reduce heat to low. Cook until the liquid has reduced and thickened and the onions are jammy, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Let cool before transferring to a jar. Serve with cheese and crackers. (It’s also delicious in a burger!)